Holy Cross Church Uckfield is open
Check out Rector's Page for latest notes.
For Holy Cross Church Buildings and Fabric, check out Fabric
For Nature Notes click on:- Nature Notes
Welcome to Holy Cross Church Uckfield
Welcome to our website of Holy Cross Church Uckfield which is part of the Uckfield Plurality with the Church of St Michael and All Angels at Little Horsted and the Church of St Margaret at Isfield. We also have the sheltered accommodation of St Saviour's on Framfield Road Uckfield. We are part of the Diocese of Chichester of the Church of England.
A Message from the Rector, Father John Wall
Welcome to Holy Cross Church Uckfield!
Holy Cross is a welcoming, active, and forward – looking church, wholeheartedly serving the community of our Town, providing solace, support, family & friendship.
We have reverted to our normal Parish Eucharist on Sundays at 9.30am. This is still subject to some COVID restrictions (See below).
In ordinary times, we offer a substantial children’s ministry through our fun & vibrant “Open Doors” Family Service, Messy Church, Junior Church , Children’s Choir & Holiday Club as well as offering fellowship, support and events for all ages. Of these our Open Doors Family Service has restarted on the second Sunday of the month at 10am; Junior Church has restarted on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays of the month with no Junior Church on the 4th Sunday.
During the Pandemic, we have been posting & will continue to post Sunday Services on Facebook and Youtube (click on words to direct to the sites) and have been keeping pastoral care alive through some thirty phone groups.
For the latest pandemic measures please see separate information below.
In addition we have restarted the 11am service on Wednesday mornings. The same rules apply as above.
We are still running online services in parallel with the re-opening.
Thank you for supporting our Christmas Fayre on Saturday 20th November. We made over £2700.
Meanwhile, Holy Cross Church Uckfield, is proud to present the Festival of Christmas Trees on 3rd, 4th & 5th December as well as our forthcoming Christmas Services:-
Festival of Christmas Trees Grand Prize Draw:-
The Programme for our forthcoming Christmas Services:-
Latest Measures for COVID19 Holy Cross Church Uckfield
- Holy Cross Church encourages the wearing of masks during services.
- The central pews downstairs have now been changed to normal spacing with no taping off of pews. For those who are still anxious, the pews at the North (Left) and South (Right) sides of the church downstairs will still be at the original COVID spacing.
- Sanitiser will remain available at the door and will be encouraged.Holy Communion will still be in one kind only for the time being (Bread).
- Congregational Singing will take place but whilst wearing masks to minimise risk. The Choir will be allowed to sing but limited numbers as discussed between Fr John Wall and Tim Guntrip.
- The Junior Church will take place in the Belmont Centre. An appropriate risk assessment for this will be done by the Junior Church Leader, Sarah Widdowson. The Junior Church will come into church towards the end of the main service and sit in the front pews which will be reserved for them.
- We have reverted to hot drinks being served in the Belmont Centre after the normal Sunday Eucharist Service
- The church doors will be kept open to allow good ventilation.
- The management of COVID19 with respect to life events with larger groups attending such as Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals will depend on the families involved: we will encourage them to follow our recommendations, but the responsibility for this remains with them. Government guidance regarding Weddings and Funerals has been updated.
- 8am and 5.30pm services have restarted. Fogging will still take place the day after.
- These measures are constantly being reviewed.
Phone Times for Non-Urgent Calls
A Pretty Please Request from the Churchwardens: Please could more effort be made to respect the working hours of us all with regard to emails, texts and phone calls for non-urgent matters?
We have had an outbreak of contacts made after 11 pm at night – beyond any of our remits – whether we are working voluntarily or paid. Lynne’s office hours are printed above and appear on the back of the Grapevine and also in the Link magazine.
As much as we love you all – some respect needs to be in place, please.
If it is URGENT – a very different matter. Thank you. Dee and John P.
The Work of Holy Cross Church
The work of Holy Cross Church continues through the Corona virus lockdown even though the physical building is not open. Video services are just one of the things being done to allow the community to share the support and worship of the church. We are gradually moving back towards some of our normal services (see above).
Can You Help Holy Cross Church?
If you feel you could contribute financially to the continuing work of Holy Cross Church please click on this link which goes to our "Just Giving" Account.
Note the PRAYER tab
This has currently got some lockdown prayers which Father John found from Fr James Lyons, Archdiocese of Wellington, New Zealand.
The Church is closed until further notice during weekdays depending on Government Guidelines during the pandemic
Regrettably, as we are unable to monitor the church during the latest government regulations, we cannot open for private prayer. Our prayers are with you all during this difficult time.
We hope the shutting of the church does not cause anyone any inconvenience but we have to follow the guidelines of the latest lockdown. Funerals can take place in line with government guidelines. Please check Government Guidelines
For more coronavirus information visit Church of England
By viewing our website your IP address, browser details, times of visits, etc. may be logged and used for statistical purposes, network security and fraud prevention. This helps us to monitor how effectively the site is working. Be assured that we never profile normal visitors to the site or invasively monitor them. The statistical data will be used by ourselves and may also be used by our website provider to help provide the service. The legal basis for processing this information is Legitimate Interest.
For GDPR information go to GDPR - please click on this link.
Charity Commission Information
Please note that we are registered with the Charity Commission and our Charity Number is 1137746.