Welcome to Holy Cross Church Uckfield
Welcome to our website of Holy Cross Church Uckfield which is part of the Uckfield Plurality with the Church of St Michael and All Angels at Little Horsted and the Church of St Margaret at Isfield. We also have the sheltered accommodation of St Saviour's on Framfield Road Uckfield. We are part of the Diocese of Chichester of the Church of England.
A Message from the Rector, Father John Wall
Welcome to Holy Cross Church Uckfield!
Holy Cross is a welcoming, active, and forward – looking church, wholeheartedly serving the community of our Town, providing solace, support, family & friendship.
In ordinary times, we offer a substantial children’s ministry through our fun & vibrant “Open Doors” Family Service, Messy Church, Junior Church, Children’s Choir & Holiday Club as well as offering fellowship, support and events for all ages.
During the Pandemic, we have been posting & will continue to post Sunday Services on Facebook and Youtube (click on words to direct to the sites) and have been keeping pastoral care alive through some thirty phone groups. We are now able to open for a Sunday Service (Hooray! see below!) so the Holy Cross Church Community is very much positive and open for business!!
Join in with us online and now in person too. It would be good to see you.
The Work of Holy Cross Church
The work of Holy Cross Church continues through the Corona virus lockdown even though the physical building is not always open. Video services are just one of the things being done to allow the community to share the support and worship of the church. If you feel you could contribute financially to the continuing work of Holy Cross Church please click on this link
Note the new PRAYER tab
This has currently got some lockdown prayers which Father John found from Fr James Lyons, Archdiocese of Wellington, New Zealand.
Regular Church Service on Sundays at 10am!
Just this one service per week on Sundays at 10am and the church is closed on Mondays for cleaning and the church is now also closed on weekdays until early September 2020.
Notice about the Current Sunday Service at 10am
We hope the shutting of the church does not cause anyone any inconvenience but we have to follow guidelines and make sure the church is cleaned after each service. There may also be a case that the church will be shut following a funeral/baptism/wedding as these events will also be followed by the same cleaning methods.
Message From Father John Wall (updated 30-07-20):-
Good news! Holy Cross is now open for a Eucharist every Sunday at 10.00 am. Hooray! It is a quiet, reflective said Communion Service (no singing allowed yet!) but Tim or Anthony will play the organ before, after & in the middle!
- The church will have been organised so that 2m distancing will be possible, using both downstairs & the balconies. Couples/households are welcome to sit together.
- Could you please wear a mask and use hand sanitiser as you go in?
- You will be greeted at the door & asked for name, phone number & address (We are obliged to keep a register which will be kept for 21 days) & directed to a place in a pew. As some pews are roped off, it may well be that you don't sit in your usual place - please be patient! Pew cushions have been removed. If you need a cushion, please bring your own.
- We are not using orders of service; everything will be on the screen.
- There won't be a collection in the service but the perspex box will be available at the entrance for any weekly envelopes. The contactless giving machine will also be available.
- Communion will be in one kind (just the bread) & will be administered in silence to a self-distancing queue, which will be directed.
- There will be no coffee/refreshments afterwards. We realise many will want to say “hello” to friends they haven’t seen for ages – if so, please be aware of the need for self-distancing in the carpark & churchyard.
- The toilets in the Belmont will be open: please observe social distancing! Please note that you cannot use the kitchen as part of the coronavirus safety measures.
- Church and Belmont will be commercially cleaned every Monday, so both will be closed all day.
- If you have any questions/queries do contact me, Lynne or Churchwardens.
Please don’t feel obliged to come! Many will still need to maintain lockdown and that is sensible: we will continue to broadcast the Services on Facebook & Youtube for now in their current format, and are hoping to begin livestreaming the Services as they happen at Holy Cross.
I am delighted to say that we are looking to have open air services in the churchyards at St. Michael’s on 23rd August & an Animal Service at St. Margaret’s Isfield on the 30th August – weather permitting!!
Hopefully seeing some of you on Sunday!
Love Fr. John
For more coronavirus information visit Church of England
In the light of the Government’s guidance churches have been encouraged not to hold meetings unless they are absolutely necessary. The Holy Cross Church Annual Parochial Church Meeting has, as a result, been postponed until such times that guidance is received advising that Church Meetings can be resumed.
The Recovery Group's statement on 6th June 2020 addresses the Government’s announcement that places of worship can open up for supervised individual prayer from 15th June. Whilst some Government guidance has been revised, it is still vital that the necessary hygiene and social distancing precautions are kept in place in order to protect the NHS and save lives.
By viewing our website your IP address, browser details, times of visits, etc. may be logged and used for statistical purposes, network security and fraud prevention. This helps us to monitor how effectively the site is working. Be assured that we never profile normal visitors to the site or invasively monitor them. The statistical data will be used by ourselves and may also be used by our website provider to help provide the service. The legal basis for processing this information is Legitimate Interest.
For GDPR information go to GDPR - please click on this link.
Charity Commission Information
Please note that we are registered with the Charity Commission and our Charity Number is 1137746.